MY DARLING BOYS

MY DARLING BOYS

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

To quote another journalist (who is slightly more famous than I am), "no good deed goes unpunished." Clare Booth Luce was apparently certain that the world was evil enough to beget evil - even in return for good. And while I disagree with her pessimistic theology (perhaps from the drugs she took in the 1950's), I have to admit that sometimes - like today - I can relate!

Let me put this in perspective. I've lost 35 lbs. and feel better than I have in years. I've dropped about 4 sizes and have been eating so healthy it's sickening. Literally. Today, I found out that the past 12 days of horrible back pain and throwing up off and on is probably from gallstones. What? My doctor sat down and sort of smirked a little, "Yeah, when you lose a significant amount of weight, we don't really know why, but the bile changes and often forms gallstones. We'll run an ultrasound and if that's what it is, you'll have to have surgery."

Let me get this straight. I have swallowed enough grilled chicken and eggbeaters to last me a lifetime and my reward is surgery? The doctor continued, "But congratulations on losing so much weight. That's great!"

Funny. It doesn't feel great. I think I would have preferred fat with no surgery.

4 comments:

carolineb said...

Bless your bones! What a kick in the pants. That's no fair.

AtlantaMama said...

I'm so sorry!!

Sharliss Jane Arnold said...

Dang, this body of ours just seems to always let us down. You are doing good Kaye, keep it up!

Chip B said...

The good news is that the surgery isn't so bad. I had mine out a few years ago ... was back in the swing of things in no time.

jezgmmbg
Jeezes, every zany gall makes me "bile"licious goofy.