MY DARLING BOYS

MY DARLING BOYS

Friday, March 21, 2008

I Got a "Twofer"!

Last week was so disappointing. My surgical recovery wasn't going as planned and I really hurt. The odd thing was, I hurt where my gall bladder wasn't... right in the center of my abdomen ... sometimes wanting to double over in pain. I wondered about a blood clot. I thought about internal bruising. I mused about all sorts of complications (even the proverbial sponge left in the incision).

The surgeon was out until Monday, so I went in early this week to ask him what it could be. He hesitated a minute, saying that I really shouldn't hurt there because my gall bladder wasn't removed at that locale. Duh! He pushed on it (why in God's great name do doctors - and my husband - always push on the spot where I say it hurts? Just take my word for it, for the love...). Then he strolled over to my chart and started flipping pages and reading along. Then, His Royal Casualness said, "It's probably hurting where I did the hernia surgery."

What???? I didn't HAVE hernia surgery. Oh, but apparently I did! It's just that no one bothered to tell me and silly me was asleep at the time and didn't pick up on it. How COULD I have slept through a second procedure and not known it? Oh, that's right. It's called anesthesia... invented so you don't remember if you get two procedures instead of one.

Funny thing is, I walked out of the doctor's exam room and was handed two bills: one for gall bladder and one for hernia repair. Gee, it looks like SOMEONE remembered!

4 comments:

carolineb said...

I can't believe you didn't know, what's that about?!

Chip B said...

What we have here ... is a failure to communicate.

AtlantaMama said...

Craziness....

AtlantaMama said...

WE WANT A NEW BLOG