MY DARLING BOYS

MY DARLING BOYS

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Daddy's Girl

Last night, I was really sick and had weird dreams to go along with my virus. I can explain some of it because my mind was pulling out things from the week and mixing them all together. Ellen just spent 4 days at University of Alabama, so in my dream, I was a student there. My dad had died in a car wreck a couple of years earlier (dream) because I had just been to a funeral of someone who died in a car wreck and my father really is gone (and has been for 20 years). In my dream, my mom told me he didn't really die and she had a surprise for me. I looked, and there stood Dad. He was dressed just like he used to be when he was leaving to go teach at the university... camel-colored sports coat, shirt and tie, dark pants, dress shoes. He looked great and I ran to hug him. My heart was so full and I was thrilled he was back. I could literally feel him holding me and how much he loved me.

Then I woke up. And Dad really was gone. And I laid in bed and felt tears rolling down my cheeks... just like they are now. And I wondered how my heart could be so full of joy and sorrow over Daddy after 20 years. I thought about what a loving father he had been and how I always believed I was his favorite. One day I told my sister that I felt like I was Daddy's girl and she said, "Me too." That's an amazing parenting skill - making each child believe she is the favorite.

Then I thought about Pastor Mark's sermon on Sunday - about getting new bodies in heaven and recognizing people and spending time with people we love. Then I realized that what I feel is only a taste of what I will feel in the next life. I will feel deeper joy and no sorrow. I will feel complete love and give complete love. I will enjoy the love of the Lord in His kingdom and never have to long for anything again. Like seeing my Daddy.

2 comments:

Chip B said...

Quit pulling so hard on our heartstrings! That post wore me out!

You've been tagged for 10 random thoughts.

http://chipsup.blogspot.com/2008/02/ive-been-hit.html

AtlantaMama said...

Wow. Well, First I think that it's really neat that you got to "see" him in your dream and to get that much needed hug. And about that last part -- the heaven part -- you will get that hug, you will be together again! We could spend 1,000 years with each person we love and still have 1,000s more to meet new people. Although, I'm not thinking that the suit and tie thing are part of the heaven thing?!!