MY DARLING BOYS

MY DARLING BOYS

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Racing into the Snow

We so seldom see snow here in the sunny South that Wednesday's beautiful, light snow storm was exciting. One minute it wasn't snowing and the next, huge snow flakes poured down on us, blanketing everything quickly and completely. We stood in the window and watched in awe. The yards were covered, the roofs turned white and everything looked peaceful for a few hours. My kids threw snowballs and we laughed and watched them chase each other on the back deck near the pool. But it was so cold.

Our little dog was crying to get out of his crate. He didn't know the temperature has dropped. He didn't know how wet it would be on his tiny feet. He didn't know the outside world had changed. I opened the door of his crate and he bolted for the back door, so eager to go out. I kept saying, "You just don't know what it's like out there!" Yet he strained to get out.

Immediately, God spoke to my heart. "You're just like that little dog sometime. You're all snug and secure in my safe environment, but you want to go bolting out into something that is not good for you. You have no idea what you'll be facing. You want to change your situation because you think there is something better. And sometimes, it's worse and I have you protected from it. Just wait."

That message to my heart slowed me down. It made me think about my quest for a new job and new security. I sensed God telling me to just stay put awhile. Let Him work. Wait for the sun to shine again. Soon the snow will melt.

1 comment:

Sharliss Jane Arnold said...

I feel this same way. Kaye is doing better and sometimes I truly think I could go out and get a job and get back to "normal", but I also begin thinking about how just a bad cold or strep would put her in the hospital and then I would have to worry about what my boss would like, how I would let people down. So, I wait. My prayer is that Kaye continues to get stronger so I can leave her, that God has that perfect job waiting for me and in the mean time, maybe he has some "little" something I could do to help. I love the snow but I hate the mess it makes. Funny, sometimes that is just how life is.