MY DARLING BOYS

MY DARLING BOYS

Friday, January 4, 2008

God is like Holiday Inn

If you're old enough, you remember a great ad campaign for Holiday Inn. I love good ad slogans since I'm an ad writer. "The best surprise is no surprise." Great line. God's like that. Nothing surprises Him. He's just what you'd expect - He's steady, confident, all-knowing, in control and never phased. Nothing throws Him. Nothing pulls Him off course. Nothing deters Him.

I'd like to be like God. Steady, sure, focused and on course. I'm not. That's why a reorganization at my agency this week threw me. My job was shifted from fulltime to parttime consulting. Here I am, needing more security with the cost of college facing us and instead, I get less security. It came from nowhere. It was a decision I didn't expect. And yet (in my true risk-taker style), I'm excited to see how God is going to take care of this situation. What does He have in store for me next? How will my ministry change? How will He provide for our financial needs?

The biggest thing I've learned about life's surprises is not to be surprised (right after my initial shock dies down). I've learned to trust God to know a better way. I've figured out that my problems are really His problems. It's up to Him to solve this. And while, admittedly, I would like it better had I not been surprised, I make a quicker recovery as I get older. Experience with God has shown me that surprises are something God uses to change my course. I should welcome that.

2 comments:

AnnieBlogs said...

I wanna think like this. I'm trying. Thank you for showing me what it looks like on the other side of trust.

Sharliss Jane Arnold said...

Hello my teacher, so glad you are blogging. Now you have time, parttime will allow you the time and engery to continue to teach us all where ever we live. Believe me, trust, no complete trust is something that must be learned. Many are watching and wanting to learn.