MY DARLING BOYS

MY DARLING BOYS

Friday, April 4, 2008

"Mean People S*ck"

Have you ever seen that bumper sticker? I have, and I've always wondered who in the world it was talking about. I really don't know any mean people, therefore I never understood the significance of the bumper sticker.

Until now. I met the person that bumper sticker was referencing. She was "mean-spirited", as my daughter put it. She was hostile. She was mad at the world and everyone in it. She yells at kids and she calls them names. Unfortunately, she is a teacher.

I've seldom been around someone who couldn't look me in the eye and showed disdain for everyone in the room. Part of me felt sorry for her. She must be miserable. The other part of me was furious because she had screamed at my child and been unfair and unreasonable. The mother in me won out. I couldn't maintain my sympathy for her angry life. She had attacked my child - and my husband and me, even questioning our parenting skills.

She made all of us hurt under her attack, but in the end, we won. We walked out of the room to a life of joy and peace and hope and love. She walked back to her classroom to stand in front of teenagers and belittle them because they can't learn from a teacher who won't let them ask questions.

I pictured her scowling at the class from the front of the room. And I thought, "I know a good bumper sticker for your bulletin board."

3 comments:

Mari said...

I always wonder what happened to someone like that to make them that way? Sad for her! She needs Jesus is what I tell my daughter about people like that.

I love this "We walked out of the room to a life of joy and peace and hope and love" - well said.

She may get several of those bumper stickers as end of year gifts in ways she may not like!

ManUtd17 said...

Jen used to have one of those bumper stickers on her old MR2.

Chip B said...

No telling what the bumper sticker on her car said. "I eat children." Very sad.