MY DARLING BOYS

MY DARLING BOYS

Friday, April 18, 2008

What if nobody shows up?

Have you ever prepared to host an event at your home? You know that the biggest part is cleaning your house, mowing the lawn, sweeping the porch and a thousand other things we all do (scrubbing the guest bathroom)to get ready. The food is next. Do I have everything I need? Cups, plates, ice, silverware? Are the leaves off of the driveway? Does the house smell clean and fresh? Are the fingerprints off the door?

This week, I was hosting a group at my house and as the arrival time approached, I raced around doing last minute touch ups. I glanced at the clock and it was time. No cars pulling in. I polished the front of the oven. I wiped down the refrigerator. Five minutes later. No one. I swept the kitchen floor again. I watered plants. No doorbell. I went outside and cleaned pollen off the porch furniture. Ten more minutes went by.

Nobody is coming, I thought. All of this work and no one cares. People don't love me. No one wants to come to my house. I feel lonely and unappreciated. OK - that's a bit overstated, but I did feel like it would have been nice if people had called earlier - before all of my hard work - and let me know they are standing me up!

Then God spoke to my heart. He said, "This is how I feel when you never show up for your quiet time. I'm ready. I've prepared. I can't wait for you to get here. I have things I want to say. But your car never pulls in my driveway. You just leave me standing there and I feel disappointed. I wonder if you care."

Eventually, my guests arrived. They were late, but they came - and stayed late. We had a wonderful visit and I enjoyed their company. I was so glad they came. While I was happy to have my house clean anyway, I was happier about the time I spent visiting with friends.

I think I got a glimpse of how Jesus feels about spending time with me. And I don't want to disappoint him.

4 comments:

Mari said...

Wow, that is so good! I love when He speaks to us in situations like that.

I worry so much about the physcial preparations, but maybe I should spend more time preparing spiritually for the people that will show up. They show up for a reason and I need to be prepared in my spirit to deal with whatever they are showing up with.

Chip B said...

Bullseye ... you nailed it. This is so true.

AtlantaMama said...

Great point. I think that the Lord has passionate urgency about meeting with us or having more our attention.

(sorry about the whole people running late thing!)

Writeaway said...

Mari - so true. When we used to host a cell, we did all of the physical work - cleaning the house, getting the food, planning the lesson - and then quickly pray before everyone showed up. Not a good set of priorities!