MY DARLING BOYS

MY DARLING BOYS

Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Cussing Prayer

Among my Christian friends, it's not uncommon for someone to speak up in agreement when someone else is praying aloud. Sometimes, someone will say, "Yes, Lord!" or "Come, Lord Jesus" for instance. In all of my years of praying, I've never been interrupted with any comment too surprising.... until now.

Bob and I were on our way to the beach for our 35th anniversary and we were literally driving on fumes, frantically searching south Alabama for an exit with a gas station. We practically coasted into a station, pumped the gas and both went inside to pay, just to stretch our legs a bit. While we were standing at the counter, a young man (19) staggered up to us and said, "Call 911. I'm having a heart attack!" and he dropped to the floor. He was trembling, pale, sweating and his heart was racing.

While the attendant went to the phone, Bob and I hovered over the patient, asking him some basic health questions (remember, Bob is a health teacher, CPR instructor and first aid instructor). Then Bob said, "Do you mind if we pray for you?" and the guy (we now knew his name was Chris) said, "No, go ahead."

Bob and I started praying and as we did, Chris started interjecting. But this time, it was different.
"Lord, we ask you to come now and heal Chris."
"Oh Sh**!"
"We ask you, Lord, to bring him a peace and a calm."
"CRAP!"
"Come as the Great Physician and bring your healing touch right now."
"Sh**! Sh**!"
"And let him know he is in your care. You're here. You sent us here to help. You're in control."
"Oh God!"
(at least he was getting closer...)

As I stood there, I mused, "If I thought I was dying, would I be screaming out profanities through a prayer?" Seemed like an odd way to meet Jesus.

But the reality is, Chris had no clue. He didn't understand spiritual things, so he didn't even understand how damning his situation was. Why should I be surprised when an "unregenerated soul" acts like one?

We finally got through to him that Bob was a CPR instructor and was right there to help if he needed it before the ambulance arrived. We told him that God sent us to that spot at that time to help him. He said that WAS a coincidence! And we said, "No, that was God sending us to you." The light went on. He agreed with us and felt somewhat relieved he was in capable hands until "real" help arrived. Believe me, when the volunteer rescue team from Fort Deposit, Alabama arrived, I realized Chris had been in better hands with my husband! The medic put the blood pressure cuff around Chris' elbow. Yeah.... scary.

Anyway, it was an experience to remember. It really made us think. We just hope it made Chris think too. A lot.

3 comments:

carolineb said...

I read this last night, wow. An experience indeed!

steve and randel hambrick said...

oh my word. i love it!

AtlantaMama said...

what an experience... we have to wonder why God puts us in those "right place, right time" moments... even though it might have seemed a bit odd?!! (at the time) I am sure God used yall!