MY DARLING BOYS

MY DARLING BOYS

Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Happiest Sad Day

Our family just climbed out of the pool after a day of grilling out and relaxing together. Seeing my husband play in the water with his darling grandson was such a blessing this year. Our baby boy has blessed us all and this first Father's Day for my son-in-love was wonderful to observe.

Last night, I wrote a tribute to my dad for an academic web site where his career is to be highlighted. Daddy died 22 years ago this month and I recently surprised myself by crying over his death again. I'm always amazed that the grief is still so close to the surface after all of this time. And yet, when I consider how much I loved him - and still do - it makes sense. He was very relational, witty, smart, loving and unconditional in that love. He taught me how to adore my children because he adored me. I learned so many valuable character traits from his life and I had the privilege of being a student in his university class. He was an unusually gifted teacher - always well prepared and inspirational. Whether he was teaching me a new word at the dinner table (no wonder I became a wordsmith!) or teaching me how to sing, he was diligent and patient and ever the teacher. He never let a teachable moment slip through his hands.

One thing he said to me many times - and repeated in class - was "the world is full of mediocrity and you don't need to add to it." Throughout my life, people have told me I am an over-achiever. On this Father's Day, I am thinking about the fact that I have come so far because I had a Dad who challenged me to set high standards and attain them. I've had a loving family, successful career, volunteered in ministry and gathered an array of trusted friends, coworkers and family members who have blessed my life.

I'm not mediocre, Dad. Thanks.

6 comments:

AtlantaMama said...

Your Dad was and is proud of you, mom!! Happy Father's Day! It was good.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine losing a parent...I can totally understand why after 22 years it would still be a source of sadness. At least you have wonderful memories to always keep with you.

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

I discovered you from a comment on another blog, and wanted to stop and say hello since I'm a Georgia blogger, too.

Blessings,
Jamie

Chip B said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Dad, no matter how many years go by!

Mari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mari said...

I'm sure you are having a fabulous and busy summer, but, I miss your words - come back - please :(