MY DARLING BOYS

MY DARLING BOYS

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A True Mother's Day

I wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary. Our family was going to church, then meeting for lunch to celebrate Mother's Day. I was looking forward to being with my mom and kids - and my precious toddler grandson who lights up my life.

After opening some cards and gifts, my oldest daughter handed out special, hand-made cards. My youngest got hers open first, making a remark that she isn't a mom and didn't know why SHE got a card. Then she burst into tears. I mean real tears of genuine emotion. Mom and I immediately teared up in sympathy with her tears, but we didn't understand what was happening. We looked at our cards and saw a beautiful picture of my grandson, wearing a t-shirt that said, "I'm the Big Brother." Then it hit me.

Another addition to the Clan is on the way! I felt overwhelmed with excitement and anticipation. Then I learned that the due date is Nov. 19 - not so far away! My daughter had kept the news a secret to share on Mother's Day and she was already entering her second trimester. All I could think of was the holidays - what will Thanksgiving and Christmas be like this year? Wow!

Most of all, I felt blessed. Being a mother and grandmother are at the very core of who I am. It's funny because when I was younger, I was such a career and goal-oriented person that I wasn't sure I'd be focused on motherhood. I certainly had no idea that God called me to motherhood as surely as He called me to be Bob's wife.

And the only thing more amazing than being a mother? Being a grandmother. My little "Bear" calls me "Kiki". I've decided that name is right up there with "Mom".

No comments: