MY DARLING BOYS

MY DARLING BOYS

Friday, May 9, 2008

A Tribute to Teachers

We went to the Cobb County Teacher Retirement Luncheon this week. My husband is retiring and I wanted us to enjoy this recognition occasion. When we pulled into the parking lot, I couldn't help but notice the modest cars being exited by nicely dressed people in conservative attire. My heart was warmed by the realization that each of these 209 teachers had given a lifetime of service and were now being honored with a chicken dinner and a plaque, gifts that were tiny tokens of the enormous respect due for what had been accomplished in thousands of lives. Their service totaled more than 5,450 years. What an investment in educating our children.

I never felt more pride for my husband. He's the finest teacher I know and full of intelligence and creativity. He served 30 years in Cobb and another 4 in Marietta City, influencing thousands of young people. He has been a sponsor for Fellowship of Christian Athletes for 30 years too - and that ministry has had a high impact. He has accomplished much, and done it well. His service has been his ministry.

It was surreal to sit there and realize it's over. We don't feel old enough to be retiring and we anticipate many useful years ahead. Yet we believe God is calling us to something new. We're eager to find out what's next.

In the meantime, I am so deeply grateful to have spent my life as a teacher's wife.

3 comments:

AtlantaMama said...

Teacher really don't get enough. -Enough credit. -Enough thanks. -Enough notice. -Enough reward. They are servants. They do what they do because they are called... certainly NOT for the money. I too am very proud of my Daddy. He's a great teacher and great Father. He has had and will continue to have a powerful and effective ministry. I know that God has so much more for both of yall and we are excited to see what is around the corner!!

Chip B said...

A job well done ... congratulations to you BOTH. Teachers don't make it 30 years (at least I'm sure it's not easy) without the support of their spouse! Enjoy the years ahead!

Anonymous said...

David said to tell Bob congratulations and thanks for all his years of service.